Potato Tofu Breakfast Hash for a Week
Thanks to VRG volunteer Linda for this recipe!
I like savory breakfasts, and something that will stick to my ribs for the long morning ahead. I make this on the weekend and divide into seven containers for easy microwaving each morning.
- 3 small/medium potatoes, any kind
- 1 medium or large onion, diced
- 1.5 T. olive oil
- 12-16 ounces extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 3-4 cups steamed or otherwise cooked vegetables (or a mix) (asparagus, broccoli, corn, lima beans, peas, spinach, carrots, zucchini or other summer squash, etc.)
- 1 t. salt (more if desired)
- Sauce of your choice (pesto, enchilada, salsa, romesco, peanut, marinara, etc.)
- Boil the potatoes in water for about 20-25 minutes until done (not too soft). Let cool, then grate them (you don’t have to peel them – the peel comes off as you grate them).
- In a large pan (e.g., large frying pan or Dutch oven), sauté the diced onions in the olive oil until they start to turn golden.
- Add in the grated potatoes, the crumbled tofu, the cooked vegetables, and salt. Stir gently until combined.
- Divide into 7 containers for easy microwaving, and add your preferred sauce on top of each.
This recipe is infinitely flexible. You can substitute grain pilaf for the grated potatoes. You can try many combinations of vegetables and sauces.