Thanks to Tanuj Sharma for sending us this vegan gram-flour pancake recipe from India!
(Makes 6 pancakes)
Chana dal (also known as bengal gram) is similar to garbanzo beans, only smaller, split, and sweeter. They resemble small beans, have a low glycemic index, and a nutty flavor. Chana dal is popular in India. They can be found at Indian markets, health food stores, and many mainstream grocery stores.
- 250 gm (1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons) chana dal (gram dal)
- 20 gm (4-1/2 teaspoons) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4-5 finely chopped green chilies
- 50 gm (3-1/2 Tablespoons) finely chopped fresh green coriander (cilantro)
- 10 gm (2 teaspoons) each whole coriander and cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoon oil
First wash chana dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 2-3 hrs.
Add dal, ginger, green chilies, green coriander, and whole coriander and cumin with a little water and grind it in a mixer to make a diluted paste. Now add little salt to the paste and mix it thoroughly.
Next, put oil in a hot pan and put some of the prepared paste on the pan and spread it in a round shape (15 cm or 6 inch diameter). Cook pancake on both sides until brown. Serve pancake hot.