VRG works with mainstream businesses and organizations so it will be easier for you to be vegetarian. These are a few samples of our work, and are not meant to be all inclusive. To keep informed about VRG activities, you can subscribe to our e-mail newsletter by going to:
You can also contact us at:
VRG, P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203
phone: (410) 366-8343
Your support enables us to continue projects like these.
FOOD SERVICE OUTREACH
1. Our nutrition advisor Chef Nancy Berkoff, RD, was chosen to give a presentation at the annual meeting of the School Nutrition Association, which represents 50,000 school food service staff.
2. Chef Berkoff gave a presentation at the National Association of College and University Food Services conference for purchasing professionals.
EDUCATION OF HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
3. Our nutrition advisor Reed Mangels, PhD, RD was invited to speak at the annual Meeting of the New York State Dietetic Association.
4. Eight non-vegetarian dietetic interns came to The Vegetarian Resource Group office as part of their professional training.
5. Reed Mangels published Strategies for Working with Vegetarian Infants, Children, and Adolescents in the Pediatric Practice Group newsletter of The American Dietetic Association.
6. Article on vegetarianism in Contemporary Long Term Care newsletter based on an editorial in our Vegetarian Journal.
7. Reed Mangels wrote a chapter on vegetarian pregnancy for a book for doctors and a chapter on vegetarian children for a nutrition textbook.
8. Outreach booth at the American Academy of Family Physicians annual meeting.
VEGETARIAN CHILDREN AND STUDENTS
9. Over 80,000 I Love Animals and Broccoli Coloring Books given away.
10. Two $5,000 college scholarships awarded to high school seniors who promoted vegetarianism. http://www.vrg.org/student/scholar.htm
11. 150 of our Leprechaun Cake given to students in a low income school. 130 of the books sent to an organization distributing kits to kids who were displaced because of a hurricane.
ASSISTANCE TO CONSUMERS
13. Article on vegetarianism by Reed Mangels in American Anti-Vivisection magazine.
14. Assisted 88 year old member in Assisted Living facility who needed vegetarian recipes for his food service.
15. Interviews by Boston Globe, USA Today Weekend, New York Daily News, Hartford Courant, Kentucky Post, San Francisco Chronicle, Shape Magazine, CosmoGirl, Dallas Morning News and elsewhere.
View a selection of news articles VRG has been featured in
16. Polls on the number of teen and adult vegetarians.
17. Our nutrition advisor Suzanne Havala-Hobbs, RD, DrPH researched and published in the peer reviewed journal Explore “Attitudes, Practices, and Beliefs of Individuals Consuming a Raw Foods Diets.”
18. Article on Perchlorate and Iodine in Vegetarian Journal.
19. Published article in Vegetarian Journal concerning the meaning of vegetarian icons and symbols on food labels.
20. VRG volunteers had outreach booths in California, Maryland, Illinois, and elsewhere.
ASSISTANCE TO BUSINESS
21. Food company marketing a burger to Costco asked us for poll numbers.
22. Orange juice company asked us for information about Vitamin D.
23. A company with a new vegan product asked us about distributors.
24. Our quarterly Vegetarian Journal includes great vegan recipes as well as scientific nutrition information.
25. Books include Simply Vegan (Over 90,000 sold), Meatless Meals for Working People (Over 100,000 in print), and Vegan Meals for One or Two.http://www.vrg.org/journal/index.htm
ANSWERING QUESTIONS ON OUR WEB SITE, THROUGH THE MAIL, AND OVER THE PHONE
26. A student wanted statistics for her thesis.
27. A vegetarian company asked about vegetarian certifications.
28. An 11-year-old requested information to include in her class project on restaurant foods for vegetarians.
29. Over 150,000 people per month visit the VRG web site at www.vrg.org
30. A dietitian from the military wanted to add more veggie items and called for info.
31. A Deli Chain asked us for a source of roasted vegetables since they wanted to add a vegetarian item to its menu.
Click here to see an older list of The Vegetarian Resource Group's 51 Projects
Join Us in Creating a Vegetarian World (PDF) (Science, Caring, and Vegan Living Since 1982)
The Vegetarian Resource Group answers your questions and makes it easier for you to eat meatless meals. Please support our positive outreach efforts.
Click here for ways to support this website and The Vegetarian Resource Group. http://www.vrg.org/support.htm