The Vegetarian Resource Group's Annual Essay Contest
1st Prize $50
SUBJECT: 2-3 page essay on any aspect of vegetarianism.
Vegetarianism is not eating meat, fish, and birds (for example,
chicken or duck). Among the many reasons for being a vegetarian
are beliefs about ethics, culture, health, aesthetics, religion,
world peace, economics, world hunger, and the environment.
Entrants should base their paper on interviewing, research,
and/or personal opinion. You need not be a vegetarian to enter.
All essays become the property of The Vegetarian Resource Group.
- A. Age 14-18.
- B. Age 9-13.
- C. Age 8 and under.
PRIZE: $25 will be awarded.
DEADLINE: Must be postmarked by May 1 for each current
year of judging.
SEND ENTRIES TO: The
Vegetarian Resource Group, PO Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203.
FAX: (410) 366-8804. Include your name, address, telephone
number, age, grade, school, and teacher's name.
Past Essay Winners
- 2014 Winner (pg. 22)
- Hannah Measom
- 2012 Winner (pg. 30)
- Colin Vineberg
- 2011 Winners (pg. 20)
- Colin Herndon
- Cecelia Colchico
- 2010 Winners
- Hannah Rappaport
- Adrienne Moyer
- 2009 Winners
- Yueyue Guo & Nicole Sands
- 2008 Winner
- Nimai C. Agarwal
- 2007 Winner
- Jennifer Thornburg
- 2006 Winner
- Rebecca Sams
- 2004 Winners
- Janee T. Vill
- Nurit Brown and Natasia Kawi
- 2003 Winners
- Keith Dachauer, Morgan Jacobs, and Kim Scott
- Raine Lamb, Nikki Fiedler, and Katie Thomasset
- 2002 Winners
- Sheela Krishnan and Genna D. McGahee
- 2001 Winners
- Sage Newell, Nicole Guenther, and Rainey Sokol
- 2000 Winners
- Stephanie Loeb, Sophia Magnone, and Zach Savich
- 1999 Winners
- Gabriella Neusner, Kylie Magnuson, and Darby Ruggeri
- 1998 Winners
- Christopher Hoeller, Jessie L. Janeshek, and Emily Clements
- 1996 Winners
- Peter Ormand, age 13
- Rachel Silverman, age 8